Hamjambo,
I can’t believe that I’m now back in Cambridge and classes are starting tomorrow. While it’s nice to be back and see everyone, I greatly miss the children at Wema. The kids there are so happy that spending time with them makes you forget all of your worries. I cannot stress how well mannered and smart they all are. All of the children’s success is due to Teresa and Stephen who have made many sacrifices to care for and educate these children. In addition to serving as directors at Wema, Teresa is a teacher at the local public school and Stephen is a manager at a local sugar plant. They need to work these addition jobs to provide enough financial support for the children. In effect, they have sacrificed their lives to provide for the 150 children living at Wema.
While we are no longer in Kenya, our work has just begun. We are in the process of designing the website. Laura’s brother has generously volunteered to take the lead on the project, and my uncle just created a logo today! We have begun contacting US NGOs, and we are trying to establish a 501(c)(3) for Wema at Harvard. We greatly appreciate those who have generously asked how they can donate to Wema. We will be more than happy to accept donations as soon as we establish a direct means of transferring donations from the US to Wema’s bank account. This should take a couple of weeks.
Here are the links to some of my photos on Facebook. They can be viewed by anyone with a Facebook account. I still have thousands of photos to download so expect more uploads in the coming days.
Wema:
Site Seeing:
For those who do not have a Facebook account, here are a few photos from the last days of the trip:
Harvard photo
Us with Teresa, Stephen, and their family
Thank you so much for all of your support. My blog had over 1,100 views during my trip. I will continue to post updates on it. I will also send emails when there are exciting developments.
Best,
Alex
No comments:
Post a Comment